The Greatest Advert for Advertising Ever by John Lowery


The 30 Minute University of Planning Working Paper Series
No. 1



The Greatest Advert for Advertising ever

By John Lowery



In 1984 I was lucky.


I was given a job as a trainee account planner at Abbott Mead Vickers.


It was a gruelling process gaining entry to the advertising industry. A couple of hundred

graduates had applied to each of the big agencies. I’d had to write a letter and CV by hand.

I’d had to hitchhike to London three times for interviews. I’d had to buy, out of my dole

cheques, copies of Campaign, so as to swot up on the ads and opinions of the day. I’d had to

buy a suit, made almost entirely of polyester. I had to hide the holes in my soles.


Gruelling barely describes it.


But had I applied a year later, it would have been a lot more gruelling.

Instead of a couple of hundred applicants, I’d have been competing for a job against a

couple of thousand.


And consequently, I’d almost certainly have failed to secure that job at AMV and instead

found myself working for a company servicing photocopiers or some such. (Don’t get me

wrong, I haven’t got anything against the servicing of photocopiers but I’m not sure it would

have suited me or, more importantly, the photocopiers.)


What changed in 1985 to make advertising such a desirable destination that a couple of

hundred applications turned into a couple of thousand?


Answer: Someone took their trousers off and put them in a washing-machine, whilst some

music was playing.


That washing-machine was in a 1950’s American launderette.


The music was Marvin Gaye’s ‘Heard it through the Grapevine’.


The someone was Nick Kamen. R.I.P.


The trousers were Levi’s 501s.


Levi’s ‘Launderette’.


It was the sexiest commercial ever made.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q56M5OZS1A8


Of course, sales of Levi’s 501s skyrocketed.


But there were other unintended consequences.


The estate of Marvin Gaye saw a huge surge in sales.


Nick Kamen became a superstar… He appeared on the cover of The Face… At the time that

was like Beyoncé appearing on the front of last month’s Vogue.


And young people who had never before even thought about the existence of an industry

called advertising started to wonder whether that might be a ‘sexy’ place to work.


Thousands of young folks joined my polyester-clad journey to employment in the industry;

the number of potential recruits mirrored that of the sales of 501s.


Agencies got to pick some of the brightest most creative brains in Britain.


And advertising got better as a consequence.


But here’s the question:


What is the industry doing now to attract such talent? Deliberately or unintentionally?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How you avoid becoming most planners by Steve Walls

Advertising's kick serve by Tatiana Shpur

From Fan to Fanatics By Bastian Schmitz